Featured Post

Table of Contents

Selected Wrtitings

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Mystery


Mystery Book Writing
By ragavan

The two books I read were Sherlock Holmes and When You Reach Me. In my opinion, I think Rebecca Stead, the author of When You Reach Me, created interesting characters because, when Miranda receives the letters, the author created a good suspense for the reader and she revealed it at the right time, the end of the book. Then, I also started to wonder if the character who sends the letters is someone we already know in the story or a new character that is going to be introduced. And the way she described the Laughing Man. Just plain incredible. In my opinion, Rebecca Stead created a better mystery because, she gave a false lead. She made Miranda think it was a different character. And at the end of p.99, she made a splendid cliffhanger.


Mystery Final Writing by abby

                The two books I read were from The Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenweiler by E.L. Kongingsburg and Wolf Stalker by Gloria Skurziyski and Alane Ferguson. In my opinion I think that E.L. Kongingsburg did a better job at creating and describing interesting characters, because in the beginning of The Mixed up Files, the author indirectly shows you that Claudia, the protagonist, is very elegant, loves art, and loves to be comfortable. The scene supporting these character traits is on p.5, were Claudia says “To a large place, to a comfortable place, an indoor place and preferably a beautiful place.” But in Wolf Stalker as it clearly states “they are just an average family.”

                I also think that E.L. Kongingsburg did a better job at describing things in the book. For example (on p.36 and 38), it says, “The bed had a tall canopy supported by an ornately carved head board at one end and by two gigantic posts at the end.” For me it is very easy to visualize what the bed looks like, and is very well described.


Mystery Final by Maddie


     The first book I read was Sherlock Holmes and the Irregulars, by Tracy Mack and Michael Citrin. The second book I read was The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenwiler, by E.L. Koningsburg.
     I think E.L. Koninsburg did a better job at describing things. For example, in the story it says, “All the walls are black marble except for one that is mirrored entirely. The faucets are gold, and the spigot is shaped like dragons head. The tub looks like a black swimming pool sunken into the floor; there are two steps down to the bottom.”
     But I do believe Tracy Mack and Michael Citrin did a better job at creating interesting characters. For example, the story says, “Ozzie looked at his friends, grinning happily, his hazel eyes shining like the coins in the bowler.” They clearly stated his peppy personality and his appearance.
     In my opinion, I really can’t choose which one is a better novel. The Mixed Up Files is really interesting but, the mystery is so suddenly solved, and has very little suspense. On the other hand, Sherlock Holmes has a lot of action and suspense. When it comes to the overall story I think Sherlock Holmes is the winner.

                    LONDON EYE           BY: BRODY
The book I read twice was the London Eye by Siobhan Dowd. I thought the description was amazing! For example, the book said “The sky was blue, the river was gray, and the London Eye is white. The London Eye a good puzzling, suspenseful, and unique writing. One false lead was when Ted thought Salim was kidnapped. A cliffhanger was when the boy on the train was Marcus not Salim. Ted was my favorite character because he had a couple of theories that he wanted to test out. He also solved the London Eye mystery. I think that the author put good qualities. For example, Ted has unique thoughts, good ideas, and is a good mystery solver. Salim is a young mischievous troublemaker, has a good heart, and likes his friend. 







No comments:

Post a Comment